Electrical safety isn’t exactly common knowledge, but it’s very important to keep in mind when at home or at your job, especially if children are around. That’s why Arnold Electrical Services is here to provide five electrical safety rules that everyone should follow to keep themselves, their family and their home safe.
1. Keep All Objects and Fingers Out of Electrical Outlets
While this is a pretty well-known rule among adults, you will need to educate children around you to never stick anything, like a toy or a fork, into electrical outlets. If you have kids, you should purchase enough plastic outlet covers for all easy-to-reach plugs to protect your outlets from small fingers and remain extra safe. Always have at least one adult around to keep an eye on small children, and never leave them unattended around exposed power outlets. Try to fully cover most of your outlets with large furniture, like your couch and beds, when possible.
2. Don’t Overload Your Power Strips
One potential way to cause an overloaded circuit and start a fire is to overload a power strip with an abundance of appliances. Be sure to never plug too many things into a power strip, and always unplug things when you’re done using them. Keeping your large appliances plugged in at different parts of your home is a good way to ensure the safety of your circuits. If you notice any problems with your power strips or outlets, don’t hesitate to call your trusted Chicago electrician for electrical repair services!
3. Keep Your Hair Appliances Away From Water
You should always be careful when using a hairdryer, flat iron or any electric tool when you’re running the water from the sink or if the area on your countertop is wet. A good tip to remember is to NEVER use items that need to be plugged into an outlet if you’re in the shower or bath because of the potential dangers of getting electrocuted. You should always avoid using an outlet that has gotten wet, as this poses both the risk of fire and getting electrocuted.
4. Always Pull a Cord Out of the Outlet by the Plug
It’s important to remember to never pull out a cord from an outlet by the actual cord. This can put a strain on the inside wire and cause extensive damage if done repeatedly. You should try to make a habit of pulling electric cords from the wall directly by the plug to avoid damaging the cord over time and having it become a hazard. If you notice that the outside of a cord is compromised or damaged, you should immediately stop using it and dispose of the item if the cord is unable to be replaced. This is in order to reduce the risk of getting shocked or causing a fire.
5. Consult With a Professional
Old home electrical upgrades are important to keep up with. If you notice any of your outlets feel hot to the touch, you’re having issues with short circuiting, you experience flickering lights inside your home or you notice anything electrical that may be concerning, you may need an electrical safety inspection. A certified Chicago electrician from our team at Arnold Electrical Services wants to help! Keep in mind these five essential rules to ensure yours and your loved ones’ safety from electrocution or possible fire, and contact us for any of your electrical installation or repair needs!