It makes a lot of sense that you’re likely to experience more electrical problems in an older home than a new build. Electrical wiring becomes a mess of materials mixed together by different electricians over the years, bound to create issues as time passes.
So what should you look out for? Here are some of the most common electrical issues in older homes.
Lots of old homes suffer from outdated wiring, like cloth or aluminum covered wiring. Cloth covered wiring tends to be flakey and brittle, causing the under-wiring to become exposed.
On the other hand, aluminum expands and contracts in response to heat. It will eventually cause the wire to overheat due to corrosion and oxidation. Both types of wiring are extremely dangerous and could potentially lead to house fires.
Not only can old and outdated wiring cause a fire, but they can also cause sparks and further damage to your outlets.
Just like old wires, old electrical connections can become loose, flimsy and weak. It’s common for older houses to have different types of wiring for their lighting, which could cause corrosion.
Corrosion is what leads to flickering lights and tripped switches. As the wiring continues to become weaker and break down, the wire will heat up and could start a fire. In a less extreme case, your lights could flicker due to a loose bulb.
Either way, call an electrician to solve the problem for you and your home’s safety.
If your outlets stop working, it could be because of tripped breakers. With older houses, however, even resetting your breaker may not do the trick. Your outlets could be burned out or loose, usually marked by scorch or burn marks.
These are signs to immediately call an electrician. For electrical safety, do not attempt to plug in anything into your dead outlets. This could lead to electrocution or a house fire.
Circuit breakers frequently tripping means that your boards are overloaded. When overloading occurs, it’s time to call an electrician and to have your circuit inspected.